Top 7 Reasons for Calling the HelpDesk
I cannot stress the importance of a proper Helpdesk or Service desk implementation, preferable with ITIL.
There are way too many incidents that do not get logged properly in the system. We call them “drive-by’s” (though this isn’t funny in some major US cities). All incidents should be logged via an online web form, email, or telephone.
That being said, I can break down the top 7 issues that Helpdesk centers get on a regular basis, with the top 2 reason accounting for over 80% of ALL tickets.
- forgotten passwords (especially with 2 factor authentication)
- can’t access email, email not working (especially for those with mobile devices like Blackberry)
- problems with connectivity to VPN
- Hardware failure
- Application problems
- Slow PC, slow network, slow everything…
- Printer not working
As you can see from the above list, you have a combination of incidents and problems. And let’s not forget about the IT Cowboys who do changes on the server which can result in these incidents and problems in the first place!
That is why you need ITIL ready functionalities: Incident management, Problem management, Change management and Configuration management database.
But it’s not as simple as that, either.
Here is my take on the top 3 issues for helpdesk departments:
- Having no or poor knowledge of customers
- Managing the complexity of change
- The pressure to handle increased call volumes, faster, across multiple departments in different time zones.
The 3rd item is the important one, and a proper helpdesk software can be the key to the success of your department and overall respect and reputation for the IT department.
It’s also an item that you have full control over, and making the right choice in software is important, whether you choose an on premise solution or a cloud based solution.
To be continued…
ITIL® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Office of Government Commerce in the United Kingdom and other countries.
Related Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- Web Based Helpdesk Software
- How ITIL-based IT Help Desk can help Small and Medium Businesses
- IT Helpdesk Software Revolution
- Helpdesk Software – Planning New Product And Sales?
- Voice CRM Launches at www.VoiceCRM.com
Recent Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- London Cloud World Forum, June 26-27 2013
- The Kenton Group and Pbxwall Partner to Fight Toll Fraud in the UK
- Salesforce.com Signs Agreement to Establish European Data Centre in the U.K. in 2014
- Salesforce.com Launches Salesforce Communities – Ending the Era of Legacy Portal Software
- Salesforce.com Announces Euro 5 Million Innovation Challenge for European Start-ups Building on the Salesforce Platform
- Do you Remember Dreamforce Bands and Speakers?
- What is the Information Technology Infrastructure Library? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- HootSuite Boosts Social Media Management System with Premium Salesforce.com, Statigram and YouTube Apps
- The Impact of Cloud Technologies on IT Service Management (ITSM)
- CRM Top Priority for IT Spending in 2013-2014 for Enterprise Applications