Time to Stop Hiding Behind “Best Practice”
For too long the IT industry has used ‘best practice’ as a get out of jail free card –
The definition of what can be termed ‘industry best practice’ needs to be rethought given the fact that it is nothing more than a Teflon coat designed to give the IT industry a get out of jail free card. This is according to Simon Bain, CTO of search specialist, Simplexo.
“Many cyber security failures are still not detected – and even when they are, most are not reported to authorities or made known to the public. When they are reported it is always the fault of the retailer, the bank, or the financial organization that the ultimate customer – you and I – are with. It is never the actual IT supplier whose product is simply not fit for purpose,” stated Simon.
“The plain fact is the IT industry has hidden behind the claim that their products or processes are ‘best practice’. Well if that is the case, why are we still experiencing huge data breaches?”
“Security incidents are commonly kept secret when discovered, leaving customers and policy-makers in government in the dark about frequency, impact and cause. It’s almost as if the IT industry has a Teflon coat. ‘Not us Gov, blame someone else’,” he continued.
“Let’s not forget – there have been some huge breaches in recent months. For example in June, 6.5 million hashed passwords for LinkedIn were published on hacker forums. In December 2011 the Internet and phone connections of millions of people in Norway, Sweden and Finland were knocked out for two weeks by the Dagmar storm. And in October 2011 BlackBerry users could not send or receive emails after a failure at a Datacenter in the United Kingdom.
“So if this is what is defined as ‘best practice’ I am really worried. It is time for the industry as a whole to stop being so complacent and stop hiding behind their customers, the ones who really face the wrath of consumers and regulators alike when a service is breached.”
About Simplexo Ltd
Simplexo Ltd is focused on delivering a new experience in federated search, and is founded on a solid history in electronic document management and retrieval. Today, Simplexo technology is delivering value to individuals and organisations in many industry sectors, including financial services, healthcare and local government.
Related Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- Practice Fusion Announces Investment from Salesforce.com and Cloud Computing Initiative
- Okta: One Stop Shopping with Single Sign On?
- What Exactly Is ITIL® Lite?
- What can ITIL® Foundation Certification do for you?
- CRM Not Helping: Customer Service Getting Worse
Recent Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- London Cloud World Forum, June 26-27 2013
- The Kenton Group and Pbxwall Partner to Fight Toll Fraud in the UK
- Salesforce.com Signs Agreement to Establish European Data Centre in the U.K. in 2014
- Salesforce.com Launches Salesforce Communities – Ending the Era of Legacy Portal Software
- Salesforce.com Announces Euro 5 Million Innovation Challenge for European Start-ups Building on the Salesforce Platform
- Do you Remember Dreamforce Bands and Speakers?
- What is the Information Technology Infrastructure Library? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- HootSuite Boosts Social Media Management System with Premium Salesforce.com, Statigram and YouTube Apps
- The Impact of Cloud Technologies on IT Service Management (ITSM)
- CRM Top Priority for IT Spending in 2013-2014 for Enterprise Applications