Is Data Security is Taken Seriously?
If you think data security is taken seriously – think again
A worrying trend is emerging amongst organizations and enterprises that are only concerned with external data breaches, completely ignoring the internal threat. This is according to Simon Bain, CTO of search specialist Simplexo.
“Big Data is very much a hot topic right now. There doesn’t seem to be a day that goes by when we’re not being spoken to, about, or at on the subject. With this in mind, I wanted to conduct a swift survey to see how seriously organizations are taking the threat of data breaches in relation to big data. It was nothing too scientific: a quick internet search of the terms ‘Big Data’ and ‘security’ brought up 53,600,000 results in 0.31 seconds. A positive start, I thought initially, but as I dug deeper my optimism began to fade.
“The results largely featured companies advertising how they can analyze big data sets to see where a threat may arise from. So, in essence, nothing really about security at all, just about how to sell software to analyze web traffic and determine where a hack might occur. Now this might seem all well and good, but when you consider that nowadays the majority of serious attacks are no longer web based but internal, it does raise a few worrying questions.
“Generally, organizations handle web security rather well through DNS traps, firewalls, and various other defenses. However, what is harder to prevent is an internal attack. Look at some of the recent examples in the press – the attacks on banks, for example – and you’ll start to see a pattern emerging. This is what I was hoping to see when I started this little experiment. However, with the exception of a few references, there is no suggestion that this is being acknowledged or taken seriously – shocking doesn’t even come close.”
Bain continued: “Security along with accessibility should be at the forefront of all new projects and technologies. Earlier this week, I was thumbing through the newspaper when I came across a startling story about a police officer, with access to license plate surveillance data, who pleaded guilty to bribing people based on their vehicle’s license plate being recorded at various ‘unsavory’ locations. Now, I’m sure that officer did not spend his nights wondering how he could access the system. This view of hackers is so outdated it’s almost Jurassic!
“The focus needs to be on the current bout of attacks, and seeing how these can be prevented or at the very least made harder to execute. This cannot happen until the owners of the data start to take the risks seriously, and also start talking more openly about data breaches. From this we can all then learn from each other’s experiences and mistakes.”
About Simplexo Ltd
Simplexo Ltd is focused on delivering a new experience security, search and accessibility, and is founded on a solid history in electronic document management and retrieval. Today, Simplexo technology is delivering value to individuals and organisations in many industry sectors, including financial services, healthcare and local government.
Related Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- IT Security Spending On The Rise
- Citrix Optimizes the Performance, Scalability and Security of Siebel CRM Applications
- FreeCRM Now the Safest Online CRM in the Industry
- Websense Unveils TRITON™ Architecture Unifying Web, Data and Email Security
- Understanding the Problem of Data Security and Encryption – Part 2
Recent Articles on CRM Help Desk Software.com
- London Cloud World Forum, June 26-27 2013
- The Kenton Group and Pbxwall Partner to Fight Toll Fraud in the UK
- Salesforce.com Signs Agreement to Establish European Data Centre in the U.K. in 2014
- Salesforce.com Launches Salesforce Communities – Ending the Era of Legacy Portal Software
- Salesforce.com Announces Euro 5 Million Innovation Challenge for European Start-ups Building on the Salesforce Platform
- Do you Remember Dreamforce Bands and Speakers?
- What is the Information Technology Infrastructure Library? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- HootSuite Boosts Social Media Management System with Premium Salesforce.com, Statigram and YouTube Apps
- The Impact of Cloud Technologies on IT Service Management (ITSM)
- CRM Top Priority for IT Spending in 2013-2014 for Enterprise Applications